Washington County Durham

HOME     WHAT'S WHERE     PREVIOUS     NEXT

Memories of  Washington

Then & Now Collection  ( 5/8)


Washington Glebe Colliery Disaster - The Funeral Procession (1908)

The Cortege passing Glen & Wear Terraces.
THEN
Glen Terrace     • ◊ •     The Funeral Cortège passing along Washington Station Road  (1908)     • ◊ •     Wear Terrace

 

Wear Terrace 2015.
NOW
107 years later.     The former Methodist Church entrance (left) has been replaced.

[ Photo: J.G. 8th June 2015 ]

 

Old Methodist Church building
Robinson Terrace & Former Methodist Church Building
[ 8th June 2015 ]

Old Methodist Church
Robinson Terrace & Methodist Church
Compare the entrance pillars with the 1908 (top) picture.

Go to: Washington Glebe Colliery Disaster

 

Bell's of Washington Station Road / St. Cuthbert's Mission Hall

Then - Bell's Family Butchers
THEN
Walter Willson's Groceries  -  The Celtic Club  -  Washington Station Rd  -  Bell's Family Butchers  -  Saint Cuthbert's Mission

 

Now Picture
NOW
Washington Station Rd has been bisected by Northumberland Way (A195).

[ Photo: J.G. 30th Dec 2016 ]

 

THEN
1951 Map
Washington Station Road
[ 1951 ]

NOW
2000 Map
Northumberland Way cutting across Station Road
[ 2000 ]

 

Bell's Van
Orders Delivered Daily

Bell's Shop
A. Bell - Family Butcher

 

First recorded in 1883 as a Family Butcher with premises at Washington Staithes, Bell's relocated to Station Road in 1893.
Now T & I  Bell (Caterers),  it's Washington's oldest family-run business.

 

Brady Square - Railway Terrace

... looking North across The Wagonway

Steam Engine
THEN
Steam locomotive hauling empty coal wagons from the Leamside Line to Washington Glebe Colliery / Washington 'F' Pit.

 

Now Picture
NOW
Quite a few changes, including the removal of the railway and the demolition / replacement of Clyde Terrace.

[ Photo: J.G. 6th Feb 2017 ]

 

Clyde Terrace 1
Between THEN & NOW
Clyde Terrace

Clyde Terrace 2
Between THEN & NOW
J. J. Anderson's Shop - facing Clyde Terrace

 

Map
Route of Wagonway through the Community of Washington Station

 

Brady Square - Railway Terrace

... looking South across The Wagonway

Across the Wagonway
THEN
Wagonway from Washington South Junction to Washington Glebe Colliery & Washington 'F' Pit.   Biddick School: right.

 

Now Picture
NOW
Colliery Wagonway emerged from the location of the white car.   Biddick School on the corner of Albert Place & Oxclose Rd.

[ Photo: J.G. 6th Feb 2017 ]

 

View from Albert Place
Between THEN & NOW
View along Albert Place, past Biddick School, to Clyde Terrace

Anderson's & VG Store
Between THEN & NOW
J. J. Anderson's Shop  &  S. Grieff's VG Foodstore

 

 

Biddick School

... at the corner of Albert Place & Oxclose Road

Biddick School - Then
THEN
Biddick School: at the corner of Albert Place & Oxclose Road

 

Now Picture 1
NOW 1
The former Biddick School still standing proudly.   The Blue Sign says: Washington Church of Christ. All Welcome.

[ Photo: J.G. 6th Feb 2017 ]

 

Now Picture 2
NOW 2
The former Biddick School viewed from Albert Place

[ Photo: J.G. 6th Feb 2017 ]

 

School Baths
Biddick School Baths - 1931

Mr Fred Hill, Headmaster
Mr Fred Hill - Headmaster

 

Biddick School's Headmaster single-handedly organised the building of Washington's first swimming pool.
For more information about this and the inspirational Mr Hill:  Click Here

 

Washington Station Road / Barmston Close

Post Office - colour.
THEN
Barmston Close: on the left.     Saint Cuthbert's Mission: straight ahead     Washington Station Post Office: on the right.

[ Large Sign: Washington Station Post Office.   Small Sign: Post Office etc. ]

 

Now Picture
NOW
From Under The Old Railway Bridge

[ Photo: J.G. 17th July 2017 ]

 

Barmston Close
THEN
This photograph was taken from close to the Leamside Line Railway Bridge.   Washington Station is just along that dirt track.

 

Barmston Close
BETWEEN  THEN & NOW
Washington Chemical Works Office Block, opposite Barmston Close.

 

Now Picture
NOW
From The Old Railway Bridge

[ Photo: J.G. 17th July 2017 ]


Between THEN & NOW
The P.O. most of us remember - near The Mission.

Now Picture
NOW
From the other end: The Old Railway Bridge