Washington County Durham

HOME     WHAT'S WHERE

Memories of  Churches  &  Chapels

In & Around Washington


CHURCHES & CHAPELS

High Usworth

Holy Trinity Church
Peareth Hall Road

Holy Trinity Church and the Tithe Barn - far right.
Tithes were taxes (one tenth of the annual produce) which were levied to support the local Church & Clergy.

[ A Memorial to Usworth Miners, lost in the 1885 Disaster, can be found close to this viewpoint. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Wesleyan Chapel
Well Bank

High Usworth Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, circa 1900.

[ Halfway up Well Bank, opposite The Rectory. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

1888 Map showing Holy Trinity Church and the Methodist Chapel

Peareth Hall Road passes Usworth House (later, Peareth Hall),  Holy Trinity Church
and the Red Lion pub (PH), on its way east to the top of Well Bank.

More Church Information at: What's Where; Church Documents Etc.

 

CHURCHES & CHAPELS

Usworth Colliery

Wesleyan Chapel
Top of Edith Avenue

The View from Ralph Richardson's (later Moran's) Shop - at the junction with Usworth Station Road.

[ Looking down Edith Avenue to Waterloo Road.  Usworth Colliery on the horizon. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Saint Michael & All Angels
Bottom of Edith Avenue

St. Michael & All Angels Church is described as The Mission Church on 1921 Maps.
Situated at the Junction of Edith Avenue, Manor Road and Waterloo Road.

[ Wesleyan Chapel: left, up Edith Ave.  Usworth Miners' Hall: straight ahead, on Manor Rd.  Primitive Methodist Chapel: right, on Waterloo Rd. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Primitive Methodist Chapel
Waterloo Road

Situated between Usworth Colliery (left) and Manor Road / Edith Avenue (right).
This Chapel was later part of Pawson's Clothing Factory.

[ The 'future' Usworth Green Prefabs were built behind this Chapel - on land between Railway Terrace and Pensher View. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Former Methodist Chapel
Waterloo Road

This Chapel ended its days as Usworth Conservative Club.

[ Situated between Usworth Colliery and Usworth Hall ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

1898 Map showing the Two Methodist Chapels on Waterloo Road

The Primitive Methodist Chapel (Chap.) is just above Usworth Board School (Sch.).
The small Chapel / Conservative Club is labelled (Meth. Chap.)

[ Edith Avenue is bottom-centre.  No Saint Michael's yet! ]

More Church Information at: What's Where; Church Documents Etc.

 

CHURCHES & CHAPELS

New Washington

New Rows Chapel

Methodist Chapel at the junction of Victoria Road, Blue House Lane & Heworth Road

New Rows Primitive Methodist Chapel

New Rows Chapel

[ Viewed from the New Inn Corner. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Brandy Row Chapel

Wesleyan Meeting House at Brandy Row, Washington (built c.1750)

[ Brady Row was situated at the junction of Village Lane and the 'F' Pit Road. ]

More Church Information at: What's Where; Church Documents Etc.

 

CHURCHES & CHAPELS

Washington Village

Holy Trinity Church
The Avenue

Holy Trinity Church viewed from The Avenue.

The Smithy and Holy Trinity Church viewed from Village Lane.

[ Spout Lane, left.  The Avenue, right. ]

War Memorial / Cenotaph  -  The Village Smithy  -  Holy Trinity Church

[ Cyclist leaving Spout Lane.  Glebe Crescent, left.  The Avenue, straight ahead. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Church of Our Blessed Lady Immaculate
Village Lane

Our Lady's Church viewed from the main entrance on Village Lane.

[ A Memorial to Usworth Miners, lost in the 1885 Disaster, can be found immediately behind the Church. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Wesleyan Chapel
Village Lane

The Methodist Chapel on Village Lane.

[ Between Our Lady's Church and Lily Terrace. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Methodist Chapel, Our Lady Immaculate & Holy Trinity

Note the 'Washington Wagonway' passing through Glebe Colliery on its way to 'F' Pit from Washington Station.

[ It crossed Fatfield Road just south of today's Glebe Methodist Church. ]

More Church Information at: What's Where; Church Documents Etc.

 

CHURCHES & CHAPELS

Washington Station

Methodist Chapel
Robinson Terrace / Washington Station Road

Methodist Chapel at Robinson Terrace (left).

[ Left to St. Cuthbert's Mission. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Saint Cuthbert's Mission Hall
Washington Station Road

Circa 1900
Walter Willson's & Celtic Club (left).  Brady Square (Turn right where the man stands.)

[ Downhill to Washington Station. ]

Saint Cuthbert's Mission Hall

[ Uphill to Robinson Terrace Methodist Chapel. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Cook's Methodist Church
( Cook's Chapel )

That's Albert Place on the left.

•   •   ◊   •   •

Location of above Chapels

Robinson Terrace Methodist Chapel (Ch)  -  St. Cuthbert's Mission Hall  -  Cook's Methodist Church (Meth Ch)

[ Washington Staithes is far right. ]

More Church Information at: What's Where; Church Documents Etc.

 

CHURCHES & CHAPELS

Washington Staithes

Methodist Church

Washington Staithes Church.       Bella Reay (née Watson): B/Row, tall.       Nancy Forster (née Watson): F/Row, far left.

[ Photograph by Eaton Bros, New Washington. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Location of Washington Staithes Methodist Church

Map: Circa 1950

•   •   ◊   •   •

Another Chapel at Washington Staithes?

I've been advised that the building below the Chemical Works Spoil Heap was also a Chapel.  Sadly, no details.

[ The Footbridge replaced the Ferry in May 1958. ]

More Church Information at: What's Where; Church Documents Etc.

 

CHURCHES & CHAPELS

Fatfield

Saint George's Church
on Vigo Lane

Saint George's Church

[ Viewed from Bonemill Lane. ]

Saint George's Church

Vigo Lane and Saint George's Church, c.1950

[ Looking towards Penshaw and the junction with Bonemill Lane. ]

•   •   ◊   •   •

Primitive Methodist Church

Primitive Methodist Church & Chartershaugh Colliery Headgear.

Map c.1939

Primitive Methodist Church at Chartershaugh

[ Note: Castle Street, Harraton Miners' Hall & Biddick Lane. ]

More Church Information at: What's Where; Church Documents Etc.

 

CHURCHES & CHAPELS

Springwell

Wesleyan Methodist Church

Springwell Club & Methodist Church.  Left down Stoney Lane; right to Mill House.

[ Picture from Keith Cockerill's Postcard Collection. ]

Springwell Wesleyan Methodist Church AD 1880.

Springwell Methodist Church.  That's Coronation Terrace on the left.

[ Looking in the direction of The Guide Post Inn. ]

More Church Information at: What's Where; Church Documents Etc.