Did Our Paths Cross in the 1950s / 60s ... or later, at The Pit?
1. Born 1947 in my Grandmother's house - 40, Tyne Gardens. I spent my first year at The Squatters - 55b, Hostel Estate.
2. Playing in the muck outside our new prefab - 30, Usworth Green.
3. Getting a bit of practise in for when I bought my first motor bike - a Panther 250. I used it to travel to Wardley Colliery.
4. The least said about that outfit, the better!
5. Living in a 'real' house now - 15, Don Gardens - with my wonderful little sister, Vivienne. She's the gregarious one!
6. Why was I all spruced up?
7. On the south bank of the River Wear near the Victoria Viaduct. (This time I know why!)
8. Up an old tree in a clearing beside Oxclose Burn, in the middle of Oxclose Dene.
9. Retired and thinking what to do next. Create a website, perhaps!
Schools: Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School & Washington Grammar School (1958 intake).
1. Wages Clerk, NCB NE Area, 'A Group' HQ ('F' Pit, Glebe, Usworth & Wardley) based at Usworth Hall (1963-64).
2. Apprentice Colliery Electrician / Colliery Electrician at Wardley / Follingsby Colliery (1964-68).
( ONC in Mining Engineering, followed by ONC in Electrical Engineering, gained at Hebburn Technical College during Apprenticeship. )
3. 'NCB Engineering Student' studying Electrical & Electronic Engineering at Sunderland Polytechnic. (1968-71).
( 4 Years, comprising 6 months of full time College ( U/G Electrician's Wages! ) followed by 6 months of Engineering Training. )
4. Appointed as an Engineering Trainee at Boldon Colliery (1971-72).
5. Technical Assistant to the Unit (Chief)) Electrical Engineer, Boldon Colliery (1972-75).
6. Deputy Electrical Engineer, Vane Tempest Colliery (1975-76).
7. Deputy Electrical Engineer, Murton Colliery (1976-82).
8. Assistant Electrical Systems Engineer at NCB / British Coal, NE Area HQ, Coal House, Team Valley (1982-86).
9. Area Electrical Systems Engineer (1986-89). ( Reporting to the Area Electrical Engineer, who was directly responsible to the Area Director. )
10. Electrical Engineer - Technical Support, at British Coal, NE Area HQ, Grangetown, Sunderland (1989 - August 1994, Rtd).
1. Wages Clerk - NUM COSA - Colliery Officials and Staff Area (Clerical Section).
2. Apprentice Colliery Electrician / Colliery Electrician - NUM DURHAM MECHANICS (Colliery Craftsmen).
3. Engineering Trainee - BACM - British Association of Colliery Management.
Registered as a Chartered Engineer by the Engineering Council on the recommendation of
the Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) - later, the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
Scores of people have contributed images and memories to this website.
On behalf of all our visitors ... Many Thanks.