Memories of Washington
- Usworth Colliery P.O.
- Front Street P.O.
- Village Lane P.O.
- Washington Station Road P.O's.
- High Usworth P.O.
- Springwell P.O.
Usworth Colliery Post Office
The door (near the garden fence) into Usworth Colliery Post Office.
[ Press clipping from Evening Chronicle, 31st October 1967 ]
Mrs Ward ran Coxon's Row Post Office in 1950s.
Her daughter, Miss Edith Ward, was in charge when it was burgled in 1967.
View from Waterloo Road
The Garden of Ward's Post Office at Usworth Colliery.
Usworth Junior Mixed School: off-picture, centre-left. Usworth Pit Heap: centre-right.
Coxon's Row Post Office - derelict!
Usworth School kitchens were on the left, with the School beyond.
[Courtesy of Beamish Museum Resource Centre.]
Usworth Community - 1921
Usworth Colliery Post Office (P.O.) is centre-picture, left of Old Row.
New Washington Post Office
Front Street, New Washington - Lots of customers at the Post Office
[ Photo by Francis Frith ]
Front Street, Concord. Post Box but no Post Office!
[ Photo: J.G. 10th Jan 2017 ]
Post Office (PO) on Front Street
Washington Village Post Office
The Post Office on Village Lane with St. Joseph's School in the distance.
[ Courtesy of Beamish Museum Resource Centre. ]
Washington Village Post Office on Village Lane. Note the 'Post Office' sign above the Lads in snorkel jackets.
The Smithy - Holy Trinity Church.
Washington Village Post Office (PO) on Village Lane
Washington Village GPO Telephone Exchange on Spout Lane
Situated opposite The Steps public house, it later became The Village Community Centre.
[ Thanks to Adrian Lupton ]
The Spout Lane Inn, known to the locals as The Steps
[ Note the Gates in both pictures. ]
The Post Offices on Washington Station Road
The Post Office on Washington Station Road.
Washington Station Rd. Note the Telephone Box outside the Post Office.
Down the Bank to the location of an earlier Post Office,
the Railway Station and Chemical Works.
• • ◊ • •
Barmston Close - Washington Station Rd - The Post Office
Large Sign: 'Washington Station Post Office'
The Post Office at the bottom of Station Road, close to the Railway Bridges.
Washington Station Road - Left to Railway Station.
Straight ahead to the location of the later Post Office. It's just around the Bend.
Post Offices on Washington Station Road
The Buildings housing the earlier Post Office, near the Railway Bridges, have been replaced by Chemical Works Offices.
High Usworth Post Office
Fawcett's Store and Post Office - 1960s.
Matthew, Etta and Jack Campbell standing in front of Fawcett's Stores / Post Office.
That's the Red Lion behind the car.
Note the Bike labelling:
Fawcett's Stores - Post Office - High Usworth
The Red Lion Public House on Peareth Hall Road
Post Office building, centre-left.
O.S. 25 Inch Map, 1892-1914
Red Lion and Post Office, centre of Map
Springwell Post Office
The Perseverance Arms and Springwell Cooperative Society.
Bowes Crescent in the distance.
[ Sorry, I don't have a picture of the Post Office. See Map below. ]
Springwell Post Office (P.O.)
Bowes Crescent (long Terrace) and Palmer's Villas (short Terrace)
Bowes Railway Crossing and 'The Percy'.