Washington County Durham

HOME     WHAT'S WHERE     2/2  NEXT PAGE

Memories of ...

Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School (1 of 2)


Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School
Manor Road

Usworth School

Senior School (left)  -  Infants School (centre, on Manor Road)  -  Junior School (right)
Usworth Colliery Miners' Welfare Hall (top-left)

Top Left Corner: Road to Don Gardens, Quarry Row and Single Row.
The Road passes under 'The Coal Depot', and the railway lines from Usworth Colliery (right) are just visible.

Usworth School

Usworth Colliery Mixed School.

Above Manor Rd: Coal Depot gone!  -  Usworth Scout Hut  -  Miners' Welfare  -  School Field  -  School Kitchens  -  Post Office (top)

Below Manor Rd: The Parkie's House  -  Bandstand  -  Play Park  -  St Michael's Church and Edith Avenue (far right)

[ Photograph courtesy of Washington History Society ]

Usworth School Playing Fields

The School Playing Fields.
Viewed from the Path running along the School Fields to Usworth Colliery Post Office.

[ Many Years Later ]

Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School
Indoors, Class 1A

Class 1A

Miss Morrison with Class 1A.

The Central Hall

Class 1A

The Central Hall:  Maypole Dancing with Miss Morrison.

[ The above photographs were originally posted by Sunderland Antiquarian Society. ]

Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School
Headmasters - 1946 to 1963

Usworth Juniors 1946
 

Usworth Juniors - Headmasters c.1963

[ Thanks to Ray Middleton for this excellent image and to David Barron for supplying all the names. ]

Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School
Pupils - 1945

Usworth Juniors 1945

Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School
Pupils c. 1948

circa Usworth Juniors 1948

The Teacher on the left is Mrs Lowery, who later became Headmistress at Fatfield School.
The Headmaster of Usworth Junior School, Oliver Whitfield, is on the right.

[ Thanks to Laura Morris for posting the above photograph and information. ]

REUNION NOTICE for Class 5A c.1948

Many Thanks to Margaret Bell, née Pearson, for contributing this 2004 Notice.
Margaret's sister, Nancy Pearson, is 5th from the right in Row 3.

 

Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School
Pupils c. 1952

Usworth Juniors c.1952

Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School
Pupils - Early 1960s

Usworth Juniors early 1960s

Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School
School Trip, c. 1960

Usworth Juniors - Trip to Finchale Abbey

MR GREEN - HEADMASTER

Back Row:   Alan Simpson,   Linda Port,   Billy Bone.

3rd Row:  Vivienne Gill,   Jean Askew,   Maxine Story,   Lillian ?,   Christine Watson,   Geoff Philpott.

2nd Row:  Jean Taylor,   Carol Walmsley,   Audrey Tatters,   Pauline Huddard.

Front Row:  Pauline ?,   Sheila Dixon,   Janice Mason,   Katherine Miles.

[ Hover your cursor on a face. ]

Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School
Class 5A, 1963

Usworth Juniors - Class 5A, 1963

Mr Elliot (left)   -   Headmaster (right) Mr Ernest Armstrong (later, M.P.)

Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School
Pupils c. 1964

Usworth Juniors - c.1964

Mr Allan  (left)     Mr Armstrong  (Headmaster, later MP, right)

[ Many thanks to Maureen James for sending us this great picture. ]

Usworth Colliery Infants
Pupils c. 1966

Usworth Infants - 1966

[ Thanks to Anne Jenkinson for posting this image c/w names. ]

Usworth Colliery Junior Mixed School
Raising Funds

Outside Covers

Inside Covers

" Buy a Lady's Hose Repair Kit and Help School Funds. "

[ When received, the second image was 'cut-off at the stocking tops'. ]