Memories of Fatfield / Harraton
Refurbishment of The War Memorial
Fatfield / Harraton War Memorial
1922: The Original Memorial was unveiled on the summit of Worm Hill.
Note Penshaw Monument in the first Worm Hill image.
1928: A severe gale toppled the Memorial and it was decided to reduce its height by removing the Celtic Cross and bringing the remaining column to a point.
1997: The Truncated Memorial was moved from Worm Hill and resited on Bonemill Lane - between the 'Old Coop Building' and Fatfield Bridge.
2012: The Memorial was refurbished and a new Celtic Cross was fitted. It was made by Banker Mason, Paul Bennett of Classic Masonry, North Shields.
1922 - 1928 - 2012
[ Image Created by Anne Phillipson ]
Thanks to Anne, Tracy, Keith, Peter and Sunderland Antiquarian Society.
[ Keith's New Cross Installation photographs were taken 27 - 28 June 2012. ]