Washington County Durham

HOME     WHAT'S WHERE     MORE BLUE PLAQUES    

Memories of  Washington

A Brief History of ...


A Brief History of Springwell Village & Colliery


[ Written by Stuart Laundy ]


Springwell Colliery and the Bowes Railway Crossing on Springwell Road
[ Looking towards Wrekenton. ]


Bowes Railway at Springwell Colliery - 1967.   This colliery closed in 1932.
[ Thanks to Photographer / Industrial Historian / Author, Colin E. Mountford. ]


Map showing Bowes Railway passing through Springwell Colliery.
[ Note 'The Percy' ]

The Blue Plaque


Located on a small Stone Pillar in the main car park of Bowes Railway Museum.


Fred Dibnah visiting Bowes Railway Museum at the former Springwell Colliery.
[ Want more details about Bowes Museum?   Open a New Page:  Bowes Railway Museum ]


One of Two Locomotives built by Robert Stephenson and Co.
for Springwell Colliery.  Delivered in 1826.

[ Thanks to Leon Morgan ]

A Brief History of Usworth Brickyard


[ Written by Kevin Clark and posted thanks to Derek Sleightholme. ]


Usworth Brickyard:  Spectators watch the demolition of the 130ft chimney (June 1972).
[ Photo & Info: courtesy of T&W Archives & Museums ]

A Brief History of The Leamside Line through Usworth / Washington


[ Written by Stuart Laundy ]


A southbound Diesel Multiple Unit.  This was the last passenger train to leave Washington Station (13th June 1963).
[ Photo & Info: courtesy of Chronicle Live. ]

A Brief History of The Leamside Line through Usworth / Washington


[ Written by Stuart Laundy ]


A4 Class Locomotive No.60033, Seagull passing through Usworth Station.
Probably a Sunday in the 1950s - note the trainspotters!